HOW TO AVOID THE TOP 10 HOME-BUYER MISTAKES
I want you to have the best possible experience finding and buying your new home.
As your coach, guide, negotiator, and advocate, I help you get smoothly and successfully to where you want to be.
These tips will help keep you from the detours, delays and dead ends that could keep you from enjoying the adventure.
ASK FOR HELP RIGHT AWAY
• Don’t wait until you are fully ready to buy before asking for my help.
• I’m always happy to answer questions & share ideas.
• There’s never any cost or obligation for my help, so there’s no reason to wait.
The sooner we talk, the more time, money, and hassle I can save you.
GET PRE-APPROVED BEFORE YOU LOOK
• Don’t just start looking at homes you assume will work.
• It only takes a few minutes to connect with a good lender and confirm exactly what loan options you have.
• Avoid being blindsided by surprises.
• Avoid falling in love with homes you really can’t afford.
Avoid missing great homes you assumed were out of reach.
GIVE YOURSELF ENOUGH TIME
• Don’t stress yourself out by having to hurry to choose your home so you can get moved on time.
• It will take at least a month to close on the home you choose once you have a contract.
• We might not get a contract on the first home you try to buy.
You may want to look at several homes before you choose so you know how the one you love compares with others.
SIMPLIFY YOUR DATA SOURCES
• Don’t drive yourself crazy by trusting multiple online sources that may be out-of-date.
• I’ll build you a home-search website with the most current and accurate information available for all the homes that might interest you.
• I’ll give you real-time updates whenever anything changes.
• You can easily keep track of your favorites.
Avoid getting excited about homes already under contract.
STICK TO YOUR PRICE RANGE
• Don’t count on being able to negotiate big discounts.
• It is easy to fall in love with homes that are just out of reach, but looking at them will make it harder to want the ones you can actually buy.
Avoid tempting yourself with higher priced homes and choose from the available homes you can afford.
CHOOSE A REAL HOUSE
• Don’t wait for the perfect home to come along or try to form a fantasy house by combining the best features from the different available homes.
Keep a running list of your current top three that you’ve seen, and forget the rest.
MOVE FAST ENOUGH TO WIN
• Don’t overthink your choice ot hesitate once you find a home you love.
• We need to get the seller to agree to sell it to you, so you won’t have to worry about them selling it to someone else first.
You’ll have plenty of time to research and investigate your home before you complete your purchase.
ASK ALL YOUR QUESTIONS
• Don’t assume anything.
• Ask instead—i’m here to help with information, perspective, and ideas whenever you want them.
Check out all the information I’ll supply about your new home, and do the recommended inspections to make sure you know everything important to you before you buy.
COOPERATE WITH YOUR LENDER
• Don’t make your lender’s job hard by withholding information or making big purchases or job changes without asking first
• Fully disclose everything so there are no surprises
Be quick to supply all the documents and signatures your lender needs.
KEEP HEALTHY PERSPECTIVE
• Don’t be distracted from your goals & priorities by the emotional ups and downs of the process.
Nurture the relationships that make your house a home.